Masahiro Sakurai (桜井 政博 Sakurai Masahiro) (born August 3, 1970) is a Japanese video game director, designer, writer and voice actor, best known as the creator and director of the Kirby and the Super Smash Bros. series. Mostly working on games for Nintendo platforms, he is currently the Director of Software Development for his companies Sora Ltd. and Project Sora.
He is also the author of a weekly column for Famitsu magazine and has developed a cult following for his streamlined, yet deep gameplay. Apart from his work in the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. series, he directed the acclaimed games Meteos and Kid Icarus: Uprising. He also voiced the character King Dedede in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
In February 2013, Sakurai developed calcific tendinitis near his right shoulder, which causes him pain when he moves his arm. Sakurai mentioned that this could substantially slow down his current work, as he does some game testing himself. In the Mysterious Seven Project canon, he tore off his arm and replaced it with a bionic one, allowing him to shoot from his arm.
- Standard Special: Sakurai Fire- Sakurai shoots a energy orb from his arm.
- Side Special: Baseball Bat - Takes out a baseball bat and swings hard with it, knocking the other character back significantly.
- Up Special: Bumper - Uses a bumper to launch himself up.
- Down Special: Laser Gun - Pulls out a laser gun and fires in both directions while crouching.
- Super Move: Have You Ever Made A Game? - The game freezes while Sakurai still is allowed to move, allowing him to attack characters that are frozen. After 15 seconds of this, he "fixes" the game, while saying "Have You Ever Made A Game?"